The Congressional Budget Office (CBO) advised congressional leaders late last week of the devastating impact of the bill’s Medicaid cuts. Acknowledging that the human impact could be far deeper, CBO projected that:
* 75% of the bill’s Medicaid cuts would harm beneficiaries.
* Beneficiaries will carry billions in savings through lost benefits, increasing from roughly 900,000 enrollees sustaining such loss in 2010 to an estimated 1.6 million in 2015.
* Most of the reductions in benefits would be for services such as dental, vision, and mental health.
* Billions in savings will be achieved by reducing the number of Americans covered by Medicaid and increasing the barriers to coverage.
* 60% of those losing coverage will be children.
* 13 million people (including 4.5 million children) will face higher cost sharing to access health care).
* 80% of the savings (more than $5.5 billion) from higher cost-sharing would be realized from people foregoing needed services or medications because of increased out-of-pocket costs.
* Thousands would lose coverage altogether because of new requirements to pay premiums, climbing to a high of 65,000 losing coverage in 2015.
These cuts are being made so that George Bush can fund his tax giveaways to the rich. Let's vote these creeps out in 2006.